When dealing with buildings that have been affected by flooding it is important to understand the impact and implications of the water on the fabric of the building, as well as the long term implications of the repairs needed.Too often repairs to flood affected buildings are undertaken by general builders with little or no understanding of the long term effect that can be expected when buildings get wet.
Olympic Construction is a member of the Property Care Association Flood Remediation Group and are specialists when it comes to repairing buildings affected by water ingress.
1. Assist in the recovery of a building.
This is achieved by monitoring and inspecting the drying structure. As members of the PCA flood remediation group we can assist the company undertaking the drying aspects and can undertake investigations to highlight areas at greatest risk from fungal decay or degradation.
This service can considerably speed up the drying process and will reduce the possibility of problems of dry rot and other latent defects affecting the building after the refit is complete.
2. Provide effective repair and reinstatement solutions to buildings affected by floodwater.
In simple terms the effect of flooding is to put unwanted water into the fabric of a building. Olympic Construction deal with these problems daily and their experience in dealing with rising and penetrating dampness can be applied to a flooded building.
Olympic Construction can provide reinstatement solutions able to cope with the damage caused by water ingress. Utilising this expertise will greatly reduce the possibility of future problems.
In our experience, problems with repairs relating to flooding are common but may only surface months or years after the property is repaired.
It may also be possible to use products and techniques that will allow a building to be repaired and reoccupied before the fabric of the building is completely dry without compromising the repair or living conditions.
3. Providing refurbishment and repair solutions can introduce greater long-term resilience to future flood water ingress.
In some circumstances it may be possible for members of the PCA Flood Remediation Group to undertake repairs that will provide the building with far greater resilience to future floods.
The use of innovative materials and techniques previously seen only in underground waterproofing may be adapted to above ground situations to provide a degree of water management capable of reducing the impact of future flooding events.
This is an area of ongoing development for the PCA Flood Remediation Group and its members and requires a comprehensive understanding of the building and the stresses brought about by flood water. These techniques are in the early stages of development, but the PCA hope to publish technical guidance in the future.
4. Members of the PCA flood remediation group are:-
- Skilled surveyors, consultants and contractors who understand dampness in buildings and who have the equipment, skills and connections to provide drying advice, undertake diagnostic investigations and complete effective repairs.
- Experienced contractors who understand how to repair buildings that have been affected by water ingress.
- Specialists who understand how to keep structures free from water and whose experience, coupled with innovative products and tried and trusted techniques, can repair and protect structures from the long term effects of water.
- Members of a well established and respected Trade Association that understands and supports its members with technical advice and guidance.
In summary, Olympic Construction as members of the PCA Flood Remediation Group can be called upon to provide high quality flood remediation works, as well as advice and guidance with drying the building and preventing decay following a flood.
Where buildings are affected by other forms of contamination introduced by flood water the services of a specialist in decontamination will be required. Flood Restoration services in Oldham, Manchester, Rochdale, Stockport & Cheshire